Starting up your first gutter business can be stressful for anyone, but knowing and having the right seamless gutter machines to help grow your company and customer base can make it easier. If you’re looking for k-style seamless gutter machines for starting a business in residential gutter installation, knowing what to consider ahead of time about your business, projects, and what you want in a gutter machine helps.
As a manufacturer of portable rollforming machines and equipment, New Tech Machinery has helped educate gutter contractors and suppliers on how these machines can allow for increased independence and control over projects, help them make more money, and be used to start a business easily. We also understand the importance of considering your gutter machine options for where your business is starting and where it could go in the future.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- What factors to consider about your gutter business and the kinds of seamless gutter machinery available on the market to choose the right product and equipment
- Specifications and features of some k-style seamless gutter machines best for starting a business
What to Consider When Choosing a K-Style Seamless Gutter Machine to Start a Gutter Business
When considering the different k-style seamless gutter machines available to you from various rollforming machine manufacturers, some factors can help you determine the best type of machine for your start-up business now and in the future.
- What gutter sizes or profiles do you want to offer your customers? How versatile do you need your gutter machine to provide for your business?
- Some seamless gutter machine manufacturers may offer single-size k-style portable gutter machines or a combo machine that offers two sizes without buying another machine. In the long run, it could be cheaper to buy the combo machine if you want to offer two different sizes of gutters and you wouldn’t have to turn down jobs if certain projects specify a particular size. Researching and understanding your market and region can help you purchase the best machine for what’s most popular in your area and keep up with the competition.
- What level is your gutter business at now? Where do you see it going in the near future?
- Taking into account where you want your business to go in the next few years can help you plan accordingly and get a seamless gutter machine that will allow for expansion or growth of your business if you choose to offer additional sizes, increase the number of projects you take on, or offer additional profiles.
- What materials are typically used in your areas, and what materials are recommended for use with particular gutter machines?
- Certain materials may be more popular for gutters in your area or just more readily available. Each portable gutter machine has recommended materials that can be used with that machine, typically specified by the manufacturer. Some machines may not run copper or certain gauges of steel. Using materials outside of these recommendations increases the risk of damaging the forming or drive rollers. It can also potentially void the warranty if your machine gets damaged by using materials outside of the specified types or thicknesses.
- What are the gutter machine’s dimensions and specs?
- Forming metal inside a portable rollformer is a gradual process that results in a higher quality product if the machine is longer and has more spaced-out forming rollers. A longer machine can help reduce stresses on the material as it passes through the machine’s forming rollers.
- Does the gutter machine use push-button controls or a drum switch?
- For operating the machine, push-button controls are easier to use and more efficient than a drum switch which typically runs or jogs material forward and reverse. Push-button controls also last longer and are more durable than drum switches.
Note: The manufacturers and products listed below are shown in no particular order.
KWM® Gutterman Inc. 5” / 6” Combo Jr IronMan Gutter Machine
KWM Gutterman’s 5”/6” Combo Jr IronMan gutter machine is a lighter-weight version of the IronMan 5”/6” Combo machine. The 5”/6” Combo IronMan gutter machine can run a wider range of materials and gauges and is longer and heavier than the 5”/6” Combo Jr machine. Learn more about KWM Gutterman’s portable gutter machines in this manufacturer comparison article.
The 5”/6” Combo Jr machine’s features and specifications include:
- It has push-button controls with jogging capabilities.
- The machine is 110” long, 48” high, and 30-1/2” wide.
- It weighs 1,127 lbs. for use in a truck or trailer with a lighter capacity limit.
- It uses a front pull / manual guillotine shear.
- It runs gutters at approximately 35 feet per minute.
- The machine uses 3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase electric motor.
- The maximum coil width for a 5” gutter is 11-3/4” to 12” and for a 6” gutter is 15”.
- Materials recommended for this machine are .032 aluminum and 16 oz. to 20 oz. 3/4 hard copper.
Englert® 5”/6” Combo K-Style Gutter Machine
Englert’s Series 650 5”/6” Combo K-Style gutter machine produces 5” and 6” k-style gutters with optional flat ribs or pencil ribs in the bottom of the gutters.
This machine has the following features and specifications:
- It uses a forward / reverse drum switch and a mechanical guillotine shear.
- This machine operates at 45 feet per minute using a 1 HP, 110 volt, single-phase electric motor.
- The maximum width of coil you can use is 15” or 11-¾” depending on the gutter size selected.
- Maximum gauges of recommended materials include 24 gauge (painted, galvanized, aluminized, terne-coat) steel, .032” aluminum, and 20 oz. copper.
- This machine is 119-1/4” long, 27-3/8” wide, 47-3/8” high to the top of the reel.
- The approximate weight is 1,200 lbs.
Grover Machine Company Model PRO6-K PRO5-K Gutter Machine
Grover Machine Company’s Model PRO6-K gutter machine exclusively makes 6” k-style gutters and the PRO5-K machine makes 5” k-style gutters operating with push-button controls and a 1 HP motorization drive.
Both machines can run aluminum, steel, and copper at speeds of approximately 30 feet per minute. The 5” machine can accept coil 11-3/4” wide and the 6” machine can accept coil that’s up to 15” wide.
The Model PRO5-K machine is 95” long, 18” wide, and 18” high and weighs approximately 900 lbs. The Model PRO6-K is 134” long, 22” wide, and 22” high and weighs approximately 1,450 lbs.
New Tech Machinery MACH II™ 5” / 6” Combo Gutter Machine
This k-style gutter machine can produce 5” and 6” sizes in one machine by changing certain forming stations and re-positioning others. The machine uses a 3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase electric motor and a manual, forward-pulling shear. It also uses push-button run and jog controls.
- Profiles available include 5” and 6” k-style straight back gutters with options for assemblies to make gutters with an alcoa hook or bottom bead.
- It produces gutters at speeds of approximately 50 feet per minute.
- This machine is 10’ long, 2’ wide with a shear handle and extra shear, and 4’ wide.
- The machine weighs approximately 1,330 lbs.
- The maximum material width acceptable with this machine is 11-¾” to 12-⅜” for the 5” gutter profile and 15” for a 6” gutter profile.
- Materials you can run in this machine include 30 ga to 24 ga. steel (painted, Galvalume, coated galvanized), 26 ga. ternecoat stainless steel, .019” to .032” aluminum, and 16 oz. to 20 oz. 3/4 hard copper.
No matter the industry, starting a business can be challenging, scary, but equally rewarding. Understanding some of the best seamless gutter machines available on the market, their features and specifications, and what to consider as you research manufacturers and their product offerings can make purchasing decisions simpler and more cost-effective.
Remember, it’s important to consider where you see your business now and in the future to purchase the best gutter machine for your company and clients. If you’d like to discuss your business operations and how portable seamless gutter equipment can help, feel free to reach out to us! We’re happy to assist!