Getting a portable gutter machine that produces quality gutters from a reputable manufacturer that you trust is essential. Researching various rollformers and talking to different gutter machine manufacturers can help you choose the best equipment to suit your needs. Two of the biggest players in this market, KWM Gutterman Inc., and New Tech Machinery, both manufacture and sell their own lines of portable gutter machines. If you’re comparing gutter machines from KWM vs. New Tech Machinery, understanding their product offerings can help you in your decision-making.
At New Tech Machinery (NTM), we get asked how an NTM rollformer compares to KWM Gutterman, Inc.® (KWM) equipment. While NTM and KWM aren’t the only gutter machine manufacturers for you to choose from, both offer an extensive line of gutter equipment and accessories for all your installation needs. While both companies design similar portable gutter equipment, there are some differences in what machine styles and sizes are available from each company, the metal materials you can use with each brand, and gutter profiles available.
In this article, we’ll explore the following portable gutter machine details about KWM Gutterman vs. New Tech Machinery:
- Seamless gutter machine features and specifications
- Compatible metal materials
- Optional equipment and accessories for purchase
- Gutter profiles available
What to Consider When Purchasing a Seamless Gutter Machine
Before even diving into the details and features of KWM Gutterman and New Tech Machinery seamless gutter machines, there are factors to consider when choosing a gutter machine manufacturer to do business with and whose products to purchase.
Both KWM Gutterman and NTM are top choices for portable rollforming equipment with proven industry success. Deciding what’s best for you boils down to what you’re looking for.
- What type of seamless gutter machine are you looking to purchase?
- What profiles or gutter sizes are prevalent in your area or with your customers? What profiles or sizes would you like to offer?
- What does your budget look like for a seamless gutter machine?
- What materials can you use with a specific gutter machine?
- Are certain material types or thicknesses popular in your region or with customers?
- What power options are available with the gutter machine? Is that kind of power typically available for your projects?
- Are the accessories you need for specific projects available for that machine?
Researching gutter machines and manufacturers before you purchase one for your business can help you understand what you need now and where you see your business or product offerings expanding in the future.
Now, let’s look at both KWM Gutterman and New Tech Machinery’s gutter machines so you know what each company has available and how it can potentially work for you in your business.
KWM Gutterman, Inc.® Seamless Gutter Rollformers
Headquartered in Rockdale, Illinois, KWM Gutterman, Inc. was founded in 1983 by Karl W. Minor, Sr. One of the leading gutter machine manufacturers in the country, KWM offers an extensive line of machines and accessories.
If you’re considering purchasing a KWM Gutterman portable gutter machine for your gutter installation business, let’s look at each machine’s features, specifications, accessories, and available profiles:
KWM Gutter Machine Features and Specifications
As of 2022, KWM’s line of IronMan® gutter machines offered include:
- 5” IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 6” IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 7” IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 8” IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 5/6” Combo IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 6/7” Combo IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 7/8” Combo IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 6” Reverse Curl Half Round Gutter Machine
- 4.5” Fascia IronMan® Gutter Machine
- 5” Fascia IronMan® Gutter Machine
- Wide Bottom IronMan® Fascia Gutter Machine
KWM Gutterman also has Junior options for each of its 5” inch, 6”, and 5/6” combo machines if you’re looking for a smaller version. However, keep in mind that KWM’s Junior machines are more limited in the materials they can run than their full-size machines.
Each gutter machine utilizes some of the same features. However, they may vary slightly based on each machine type, so check KWM Gutterman’s website for more information on each machine:
- Can rollform 24 gauge steel
- Polyurethane drive system
- Push-button entry and exit controls with “jog” function (some machines include safety wiring)
- Front pull guillotine shear
- Run at speeds of approximately 35 feet per minute
|Details||IronMan® 5”||IronMan® 6”||IronMan® 5/6” Combo||IronMan® 6/7” Combo||IronMan® 7”||IronMan® 7/8” Combo||IronMan® Fascia (5” or 4 1/2”)||Wide Bottom IronMan® Fascia (4.5” or 5”)||IronMan® 6” Reverse Curl Half Round|
|Gutter style||K-Style||K-Style||K-Style||K-Style||K-Style||K-Style||Fascia||Fascia||Half Round|
|Power Source||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||1.5 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||1.5 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||N/A||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||1.5 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor|
|Maximum material width||11 3/4” to 12 3/8”||15”||5” machine: 11 3/4 to 12”|
6” machine: 15”
Financing options, service, and technical support are available through KWM Gutterman. Each machine comes with 3-year parts and labor warranty on all mechanical components and a 1-year parts and labor warranty on all electrical components.
Compatible Metal Materials With KWM Gutter Machines
Recommended materials you can use on KWM gutter machines include:
- .032 gauge (maximum) aluminum
- 16 oz to 20 oz 3/4 hard (maximum) copper
- 24 gauge (maximum) painted steel
- 24 gauge (maximum) Galvanized steel
- 24 gauge (maximum) Galvalume
- 24 gauge (maximum) ternecoat steel
Optional Equipment for KWM Gutter Machines
Available options you can add to your seamless gutter machine configuration include (may vary depending on the gutter machine selected):
- Machine mount coil cradles
- Run out stands
- Turnstile uprights
- Upright and spools
- Trailer riser pad
- Front pull guillotine shears
- Smart machine automated length control
- Hanger mark assembly
Available KWM Gutter Profiles
Types of gutter profiles available with KWM Gutterman machines include:
- 5” K-style gutter
- 6” K-style gutter
- 7” K-style gutter
- 8” K-style gutter
- 4.5” Fascia gutter
- 5” Fascia gutter
- Wide bottom fascia gutter
- 6” half round gutter
New Tech Machinery Seamless Gutter Machines
Founded in 1991, New Tech Machinery’s headquartered in Aurora, Colorado. Since the company’s founding by Larry Coben, NTM has opened a Service and Engineering Center in Colorado and a second manufacturing facility in Hermosillo, Mexico.
New Tech Machinery was the first company to commercially offer a polyurethane-drive gutter machine to the marketplace in 1994. Now, the company offers an extensive line of portable rollforming equipment, including roof panel and seamless gutter machines, and optional equipment to help contractors get more versatility and efficiency from their machines and projects.
If you’re researching New Tech Machinery portable seamless gutter machines, let’s look at the styles of gutter machines available, their features, specifications, optional accessories, and available profiles.
NTM Seamless Gutter Machine Features and Specifications
The current line of NTM gutter machines as of 2022 includes the following:
- MACH II™ 5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo Gutter Machines
- MACH II™ 7”/8” Combo Gutter Machine
- BG7™ 7” Commercial Box Gutter Machine
Standard features of these machines include:
- Polyurethane drive rollers and free-floating stainless steel forming rollers
- Forward-pulling shear (The BG7 has a hydraulic shear.)
- Push-button run / jog controls at the entry and exit ends
- Power interruption safety circuit
|Details||MACH II™ 5”||MACH II™ 6”||MACH II™ 5”/6” Combo||MACH II™ 7”/8” Combo||BG7™|
|Height||48”||48”||48”||46”||With overhead rack: 51”Without overhead rack: 32”|
|Width||24”||24”||24” plus shear handle and extra shear||39”||48”|
|Weight||1,000 lbs||1,250 lbs.||1,350 lbs.||2,100 lbs.||Without trailer: 2,600 lbs.With trailer: 4,800 lbs.|
|Power Source||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||3/4 HP, 110 volt, single phase motor||1 1/2 HP, 120 volt, single phase motor||Either gas engine or electric motor using Quick-Change™ Power Pack|
|Speed||Approximately 50 feet per minute||Approximately 50 feet per minute||Approximately 50 feet per minute||Approximately 50 feet per minute||Approximately 60 feet per minute|
|Maximum material width||11 3/4”||15”||5” machine: 11 3/4”|
6” machine: 15”
|7” machine: 17 7/8”8” machine: 20”||20”|
If you’re looking for financing assistance for any NTM gutter machine, New Tech Machinery partners with various leasing companies that can help provide more information about financing a machine. All portable rollforming machines are backed by a limited three-year parts and in-house labor warranty that includes electrical components.
Compatible Metal Materials With NTM Seamless Gutter Machines
Recommended metal materials for New Tech Machinery gutter machines are as follows:
MACH II 5”, 6”, 5”/6” Combo Machine
- 30 ga. to 24 ga. painted steel
- 30 ga. to 24 ga. Galvalume
- 30 ga. to 24 ga. coated galvanized steel
- .019” to .032” painted aluminum
- 16 oz to 20 oz 3/4 hard copper
MACH II 7”/8” Combo Machine
- 24 ga. painted steel
- 24 ga. Galvalume
- 24 ga. coated galvanized steel
- .032” to .040” painted aluminum
- 16 oz to 20 oz 3/4 hard copper
BG7 Box Gutter Machine
- 26 ga. to 22 ga. painted steel
- 26 ga. to 22 ga. Galvalume
- 26 ga. to 22 ga. coated galvanized steel
- .032” to .050” painted aluminum
- 20 oz to 24 oz 3/4 hard copper
Optional Accessories for NTM Gutter Machines
- Remote 4-button start
- Machine cover
- Trailer riser pads
- Run-out stands
- Back flange shear (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- Coil cradle (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- Turnstile reel stand (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- Transfer rack (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- Bottom bead assembly (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- 16” and 20” adjustable width steel reels (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo)
- EZ-Counter computerized length controller (5”, 6”, and 5”/6” Combo, 7”/8” Combo)
- Expandable arbor (7”/8” Combo and BG7)
- Dual overhead reel rack (7”/8” Combo and BG7)
- PVC strippable film applicator (only with BG7)
- Variable height run-out table (only for BG7)
- PLC programmable batch and length computer controller (only for BG7)
- Electric or gas Quick-Change Power-Pack (only for BG7)
- Trailer (only for BG7)
Available NTM Seamless Gutter Profiles
The gutter profiles currently available with NTM seamless gutter machines include:
- 5” and 6” with straight back
- 5” and 6” with alcoa hook
- 5” and 6” with bottom bead
- 5” and 6” with back flange
- 7” with straight back
- 8” with straight back
- 7” box gutter with straight back
- 7” box gutter with hook
A lot goes into finding and purchasing the right gutter machine, including researching your options of manufacturers, machinery, add-on equipment, profiles, and more. Knowing these details will help you select the best machine for your business needs and customers.
When choosing a portable gutter machine, either KWM, NTM, or a different manufacturer, keep these factors in mind when doing your research and talking to companies:
- Consider if the manufacturer’s gutter profiles and style of machines are available.
- Talk to gutter machine manufacturers about cost and price, financing options, warranties, and if service and support are available.
- Consider the recommended materials compatible with the machine and what’s popular with customers or in your area.
- If you need accessories or additional equipment for your gutter machine (run-out stands, cradles, reels, etc.), ensure that what you need is offered for that machine.
- Make sure that the specifications of the gutter machine match what will fit in your truck or on a trailer.
- Find information about the company’s lead times, values, and business with other companies like yours.
Choosing the best gutter machine and manufacturer for you comes down to your needs, what you can invest in, and where you see your business in the future. If you think that a New Tech Machinery gutter machine is the right fit for you, or if you have any questions about our portable rollforming equipment, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d love to talk!